Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Father's Day

As Sara and I move a little farther along into our lives as parents I'm sure that things like Father's Day and Mother's Day will be as normal a part of our year as Christmas, Thanksgiving and birthdays.  However, this first year it felt like I snuck in the back door, like I got put on a list by accident.  Everything that I associate with fatherhood comes from memories of time spent with my Dad, whether it be playing catch in the front yard, sitting on the couch yelling about the Padres, looking in to the dugout seeing him coaching little league, etc.  I haven't done any of these things yet, so how do I possibly qualify to be celebrated?  Intellectually I understand that there was a large portion of my life that I do not remember, that my dad was instrumental during those times as well, and that is the role that I am currently playing in Connor's life, but emotionally it still feels like I'm a pledge, rather than a full fledged brother, in the fraternity of fatherhood.

Now, don't think that I let any of this get in the way of a day where I had a hall pass to sit on the couch and watch the US Open, to enjoy a frosty beverage and to try to convince Connor that the bar was getting set by Rory McIlroy, who dedicated his victory to his dad on Father's Day.

On Sunday morning Sara and I packed up the car with Connor, Huck and all sorts of paraphenalia and headed down the 405 to Bart and Joni's house in Orange County.  My parent's came up as well, and the 8 of us (Great Grandma Izu was there too) enjoyed the day together.  We played a little bridge, watched a lot of golf, enjoyed a delicious dinner of ribs, garlic mashed potatoes, salad and broccoli, and even got a special Father's day dessert, brownie sundaes with hot fudge.  It was great to spend time with my dad and Bart, and Connor certainly got lots of love, rarely having to lie in his crib when there were so many willing sets of arms around.

It was the first of many Father's Days for me, and as Connor grows I can only hope that we get to spend many of these days like we did the first.  And now, the part you've all been waiting for, a few photos below from the past week.











No comments:

Post a Comment